Scheduling Successful Employer Information Sessions
An employer information session is an educational presentation that allows organizations to communicate their brand and mission, and describe opportunities and career paths with students. With more than 300 employer information sessions being conducted throughout the year, there is a great deal of competition for student attention. Planning an event that is appropriate for your firm's hiring needs and presence on campus is the best road to success. We strongly recommend that your organization schedules one employer information session representing the different functions for which you are hiring rather than a separate session for each function or division.
You may want to discuss your plans with the Recruiting Managers
We ask all organizations, regardless of where your information session will be held, to adhere to our employer information session procedures. It is imperative that we be aware of all of your recruiting activities so that we may advertise them to our student body, facilitate your visit and assist, wherever possible, in avoiding scheduling conflicts. Please Note: We do not schedule competing employers in the same time-slot.
Fall term 2016 employer information sessions will begin on Tuesday, August 30, 2016, which is the first day of fall term classes. Spring term 2017 will begin on Wednesday, January 11, 2017, which is the first day of spring term classes. Employer information sessions are hour-long events, beginning on the hour, Monday to Thursday, from 4:00pm to 9:00pm.
Employer Information Session Procedures
Schedule your interview dates PRIOR to scheduling an information session, so you can plan the timing of your session accordingly. We find the most effective time to have your general employer information session is during the student resume submission period. It is imperative you be aware of recruiting deadlines and holidays that may affect participation at your event. Please see the 2016-2017 On-Campus Recruiting Deadlines Calendar
and Penn Academic Calendar
for recruiting deadlines and important university dates.
Requests to schedule employer information sessions during the 2016-2017 academic term will be accepted in PennLink
(not via email or telephone) beginning at 12:00 noon EDT on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 for corporate donors and participants of the Career Services Support Program. All other employers may submit their requests starting Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 12:00 noon EDT.
- After logging into PennLink, click the "Request New OCR Employer Information Session" link.
- Complete and submit the employer information session form. Make sure to include all fields. Be sure to select an alternate presentation date in the event your first choice is not available. You will need to complete a separate form for each presentation you wish to schedule.
- Please be patient in awaiting your information session confirmation from the On-Campus Recruiting office.
- If you are having an information session the Night Before your interviews, it is very strongly suggested that you contact all students on your schedules to invite them to attend - otherwise, they may think it is an optional event.
- View our guidlines for arranging audiovisual support, catering, and the shipment of materials for employer information sessions.
Publicity & Marketing
- Increase your brand visibility on our campus by participating in the Career Services Support Program. Your organization's logo will appear in the page header on the student portal of PennLink, our online recruiting system, on a 30-day rotating basis, ending on one date of your choice, i.e. your employer information session, your resume submission deadline, etc. You may choose to have your logo linked directly to your organization's website or recruiting webpage; you may also include two lines of text that will show underneath your logo.
- Your employer information session will be publicized online in the Career Services Information Session Calendar and in PennLink, our online recruiting system. This advertising is only done if your information session was coordinated through the On-Campus Recruiting office.
- Advertise your session in The Daily Pennsylvanian, the student newspaper, which publishes 7,000 copies on campus Monday-Thursday. Ads placed a few days before and on the day of the presentation seem to get the most response. Internet advertising is also available, with online ads linking to your company's website or recruiting page.
For questions about employer information sessions not answered here, please contact us.