Calendar of Events, Program Archives
Resumes, CVs, Cover Letters, Research Statements, Teaching Philosophy
Statements and other Correspondence
Networking, Interviewing, Negotiating
Field-Specific Resources, Academic Job Market, Expanded Career Opportunities
Reports and Advice from your Peers
Guides and Databases
Complete List of Services, Email Lists, Appointments & Walk-ins
Career Planning Resources
Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
Welcome! Below are resources organized by degrees and fields of interest. View our guide to using On-Campus Recruiting and using Search Firms and Recruiters. Click here to join a Career Services distribution list for position announcements and information on programs and workshops.
PhD Students & Postdocs
|Humanities and Social Sciences PhDs/Postdocs
||Science, Mathematics and Engineering PhDs/Postdocs
Academic Market and Job Search
- Academic Job Search Handbook & Academic Job Market Resources offers a comprehensive overview and advice for pursuing faculty positions, including preparing job hunting materials, the application process, interviewing & negotiation, identifying opportunities, balancing work & life, and advice from faculty and professionals.
Expanded Careers for M.A.'s, ABD's, and Ph.D.'s
Academic Market and Job Search Resources
Expanded Careers for M.S.'s, ABD's, and Ph.D.'s
- The Expanded Job Market for Ph.D.'s including science policy, science/medical writing, patent law, finance and consulting. Non-academic career opportunities for Master's, ABD's and Ph.D.'s and resources on alternative careers in a variety of fields.
Discipline-Specific Resources and Job Banks (includes both academic and non-academic career information):
Advice on Career Decision Making and Job Hunting
- Interviews with Featured Alumni
- Advice from Fellow Graduate Students
Discipline-Specific Resources and Job Banks (includes both academic and non-academic career information, as well as internet resources for finding postdoctoral positions)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund -
Foundation dedicated to advancing biomedical sciences through research support and educational activities
- GrantsNet - Index of national and international science research funding, scholarships, fellowships, and internships
- Job Banks for Scientists and Engineers - General web resources for job banks and staffing agencies, and more specific resources for life sciences and physical sciences/engineering
- Pathways to Science - A portal website supporting pathways to the STEM fields, as well as events and news items from STEM programs across the country
- Science Alliance - New York Academy of Science's career development resources
- Science Careers - Career resources for scientists interested in industry, academia, and government positions, including job openings, career advice articles, and a career forum
- Sloan Career Cornerstone Center -
An "ever-expanding resource" for opportunities in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, computing, and healthcare
Advice on Career Decision Making and Job Hunting
- Carnegie Initiative on the Doctorate - Initiative that examines various aspects of doctoral education and helps interested departments restructure their programs in order to improve graduates chances for employment.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education - The Chronicle features articles on teaching, research, administration, and student life. The online version includes an extensive job bank.
- Council of Graduate Schools - A national organization dedicated to promoting graduate education and research. Their website features many interesting students of graduate education on a national level.
- Harvard University's Office of Career Services resource pages for the academic job search provide some additional information on how to think strategically about applying for academic jobs.
- The Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Advancing the efforts of their member institutions to recruit and retain outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and to assist dual career couples.
- Index of American Universities - A comprehensive list of university homepages.
- National Coalition of Independent Scholars - The National Coalition of Independent Scholars (NCIS) was formed to facilitate the work of independent scholars. They have a wonderful list of resources for anyone interested in continuing a research program without institutional affiliation.
- National Postdoc Association - A resource for graduate students thinking about and looking for postdoc opportunities, and for current postdocs seeking information on professional development, dealing with conflict, benefits, additional postdoc opportunities, visa issues, and more.
- Scholarly Societies Project - A comprehensive listing of international scholarly societies.
- Conference Alert - Listings of academic conferences around the globe (many, but not all disciplines are represented)
© Career Services, University of Pennsylvania. Not to be copied or distributed without permission. 2010
Career Services • University of Pennsylvania
Suite 20, McNeil Building • 3718 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6209
Click here for a map
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Extended Library hours when classes are in session: Mon-Wed, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM