Calendar of Events, Program Archives
Resumes, CVs, Cover Letters, Research Statements, Teaching Philosophy
Statements and other Correspondence
Networking, Interviewing, Negotiating
Field-Specific Resources, Academic Job Market, Expanded Career Opportunities
Reports and Advice from your Peers
Guides and Databases
Complete List of Services, Email Lists, Appointments & Walk-ins
Expanded Career Opportunities
For PhDs in the Humanities and Social Sciences
|The Versatile PhD
The Versatile PhD is a leading resource on non-academic careers for graduate students in the humanities and social sciences. It consists of a free community where you can get support from others, plus a Premium Content Area where you can read the following:
- Hiring Success Stories -- authentic, successful non-academic job application materials showing how MA, PhD and ABD in humanities or social science disciplines got non-academic jobs straight out of the academy. Compare their CVs with their successful resumes; read their clear, helpful explanations of how they got the job; see what advice they have for you from their personal experience.
- Career Autobiographies -- first-person narratives by people with similar backgrounds to yours, describing how their careers developed after they left the academy. See where others like yourself have ended up; learn what they like and love about their non-academic careers; get a sense of the many twists and turns that can shape your professional destiny.
- Career Panels -- richly informative panel discussions about specific non-academic careers. Each panel discussion features 3-5 panelists, all of whom are MA, PhD or ABD in humanities or social science disciplines, and all working in the specific career being discussed. Career paths covered include Federal Government, Freelance Writing & Editing, Policy Analysis, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Higher Education Consulting -- all good careers for people with graduate degrees.
Because you are a student of the University of Pennsylvania, you get access to the Premium Content Area where those high-quality written materials are stored. For premium access:
Go to the Career Services Reference Library
2. Click on Online Subscriptions
3. Log-in by providing your PennKey and password
4. Find the link for the Versatile PhD in the Reference Library
To access the non-Premium content of The Versatile PhD, click here.
© Career Services, University of Pennsylvania. Not to be copied or distributed without permission. 2010
Career Services • University of Pennsylvania
Suite 20, McNeil Building • 3718 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6209
Click here for a map
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Extended Library hours when classes are in session: Mon-Wed, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM