- Check out the Career Exploration/Discovery section of the Career Services website.
- Get involved in on-campus activities that interest you.
- Talk to faculty members, upperclassmen, family, and friends to help you choose a potential major.
- Take the SIGI-3 online Self-Assessment and meet with a Career Counselor to create a tentative action plan.
- Register on PennLink to learn about internship opportunities.
- Volunteer, join student organizations, seek interesting part-time and summer jobs.
- Write or update your Resume
- Attend Career Services workshops to learn about potential careers from alumni and employer contacts.
- Use SIGI-3 and other career exploration tools to research job descriptions, skills, requirements.
- Explore study-abroad options.
- If you have not already, register on PennLink, Career Services online job and internship search system, iNet, and internship database that is part of a consortium of 11 selective universities across the country to offer a greater variety of opportunities.
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss academic requirements and finalize choice of major.
- Do an Internship (or two!)
- Network at Career Fairs and Information Sessions throughout the year.
- Participate in On Campus Recruiting (Jan/Feb for internships), if interested in relevant career fields (finance, consulting, etc.)
- Get involved with a professional association in your field of interest (discounted student rate).
- Attend Career Services workshops on networking, interviewing, job searching, grad school prep, resume/cover letter writing and more.
- Continue to develop leadership, teamwork, and communication skills through extra-curriculars.
- Update your Resume and get it critiqued by Career Services.
- Do Informational Interviews with alumni and family friends to explore career paths within your field of interest
- Consider if Graduate School is the right choice for you.
- Do an(other) Internship
- Research potential employers through PennLink, Vault, Wetfeet and other Career Library resources.
- If attending grad school, prepare applications and required materials.
- Do Mock Interviews.
- Participate in On Campus Recruiting, (primarily Sept/Oct for full-time jobs) if interested in relevant career fields (finance, consulting, etc.)
- Start job searching/interviewing 6-9 months prior to graduation.
- Utilize the Career Services website for Job Search Resources
- Perfect your Resume and learn how to write a Cover Letter
- Upload your Resume to PennLink.
- Create a Networking Contact List and a Job Search Plan.
- Attend Career Fairs throughout the year.
- Complete the Career Plans Survey when you know what your next step will be.
Updated August 2010
© Career Services, University of Pennsylvania. Not to be copied or distributed without permission. 2010
Career Services • University of Pennsylvania
Suite 20, McNeil Building • 3718 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6209
Click here for a map
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Extended Library hours when classes are in session: Mon-Wed, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM