Waiver criteria for academic year 2014-2015:
All full-time and dissertation-status students, as well as exchange students here for a semester or more, must carry comprehensive health insurance as a condition of student enrollment. If you have your own insurance coverage, you may waive enrollment in the Penn Student Insurance Plan (PSIP) if your plan meets the following criteria:
- Your insurance plan must be provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. telephone number. The company must have a process to remit payments to providers within the U.S.
- Your insurance plan must provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, or have been in effect long enough that any waiting period has passed.
- Your insurance plan must offer an annual maximum benefit of at least $2,000,000.
- Your insurance plan must provide for both in-patient and out-patient mental health care in the Philadelphia area. A policy that provides only emergency or urgent mental health care services in this area does not meet this requirement. *
- Your insurance plan must provide coverage for both in-patient and out-patient medical care in the Philadelphia area, including routine office visits, specialist office visits, diagnostic testing, imaging and physical therapy. A policy that provides only emergency or urgent medical care in this area does not meet this requirement.*
*If you are insured with an out-of-area managed care plan (i.e. HMO or similar plan), you should be aware that most managed care plans do not cover any care outside of the plan network other than urgent and emergency services. Unless your insurance carrier provides you with a rider for out-of-area coverage in the Philadelphia area, your waiver will not be approved.