The online enrollment/waiver for incoming summer students 2014 will open on May 1, 2014 and close May 31, 2014.
Important: The enrollment site is for incoming summer 2014 students only. If you wish to change your existing insurance selection, please contact the insurance compliance Office at 215 746 3535 option #3.
Insurance waiver criteria for academic year 13-14.
All full-time, dissertation, or exchange students here for a semester or more must carry adequate health insurance as a condition of student enrollment. Students who have their own insurance can waive enrollment in the Penn Student Insurance Plan (PSIP) only if their plan meets the following criteria:
- Alternate insurance plans must be provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims payment office and a U. S. Phone number. Company must have a process to remit claim costs to providers within the US.
- Alternate insurance plans must provide coverage for both in-patient and out-patient medical care in the Philadelphia area, including but not limited to routine care, specialist office visits, diagnostic testing, imaging and physical therapy.
- Alternate insurance plans must provide for both in-patient and out-patient mental health care in the Philadelphia area.
- Alternate insurance plans may not limit coverage in the Philadelphia area to just Emergency or Urgent medical or mental health care.
- Alternate insurance plans may not exclude coverage for the following:
o Pre-existing conditions (or the plan must have been in effect long enough that any waiting period has passed).
o Conditions related to depression, eating disorders, and drug or alcohol counseling/treatment.
o Sports injuries, alcohol-related injuries or conditions.
- Alternate insurance plans must offer an annual maximum benefit of at least $2,000,000 in coverage for each service.
Please obtain a copy of your plan's benefits and review them to ensure your plan meets these criteria. Please note that all waiver requests must be approved by the University. The University audits waiver requests and may contact your insurance company to verify your plan meets these criteria. Alternate insurance plans found to not meet this criteria will not be approved for waiving PSIP.
- Enroll in PSIP or Request a Waiver
- May Graduates and PSIP
- Frequently asked questions about insurance compliance and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Important Dates
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Download Brochures
- Contact and Links to other Information