It is important to have meaningful ways to address professional impairment once it has been identified. Several possible, and perhaps concurrent, courses of action designed to remediate impairments include, but are not limited to:
- increasing supervision, either with the same or other supervisors;
- changing the format, emphasis, and/or focus of supervision;
- recommending personal therapy and/or psychological assessment with all parties involved having clarified the manner in which therapy or assessment contacts will be used in the trainee evaluation process;
- reducing the trainee's clinical or other work load and/or requiring specific academic course work or other forms of training; and/or
- recommending, when appropriate, a leave of absence and/or a second training program.