Our experienced staff will support you through this very important phase of your career development. Whether your are in the initial stage of choosing a career, researching your options, struggling to make a decision or ready to hit the road with a job search plan, consult with a career counselor. He or she can answer your questions and offer advice on a variety of career-related issues.
Our counselors are available for half-hour appointments Monday through Friday and each counselor has 15-minute walk-in schedules designed to answer quick questions. Any information exchanged between you and your counselor is considered personal and confidential.
How Career Advisors Support Students:
- Sort through talents, interests, skills and values and identify potential careers that match your profile.
- Evaluate the confusing messages you may be receiving about careers from friends, family and the media.
- Answer career or graduate school questions and discuss any concerns related to career choice and job search.
- Develop ideas about a career and offer advice on researching careers and approaching your job search.
- Point out the variety of career and job search resources available in the career library, homepage and the internet.
- Provide information on networking and information interviews.
- Offer advice on and critique cover letters, resumes and graduate school essays.
- Prepare you for an interview by discussing the guidelines or arranging for a video-taped mock interview.
- Explain office policies and the wide variety of programs and resources offered by Career Services.