|Career Advice||Job, Internship, and Postdoc Listings||Sample Employers and Opportunities||Professional Associations||Additional Links|
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund - Foundation dedicated to advancing biomedical sciences through research support and educational activities.
- myIDP - an Individual Development Plan (IDP) using myIDP, a Web-based career-planning tool created to help graduate students and postdocs in the sciences define and pursue their career goals.
- Pathways to Science - A portal website supporting pathways to the STEM fields, as well as events and news items from STEM programs across the country.
- Science Careers - This AAAS site includes articles on a range of careers for scientists as well as on grant-writing, career transitions, diversity and work life issues. It also includes career resources for scientists interested in industry, academia, and government positions, including job openings and a career forum.
- Sloan Career Cornerstone Center - A resource for opportunities in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, computing and healthcare.
- The Versatile PhD is a web-based community dedicated to helping PhDs apply their skills and interests in a wide variety of fields. Career Services is a founding subscriber and pays for student access to The Versatile PhD's premium content (click on the click and scroll down the list of digital resources to set up your free account).
- Articles from the Chronicle of Higher Education and Inside Higher Education about PhDs and the non-academic job search
- Non-Academic Career Prep for STEM Grad Students
- 5 Quick Tips for Finding a Nonacademic Job
- The Ph.D.'s Guide to a Nonfaculty Job Search
- The Sweet Spot of a Nonacademic Job Search
- What's Next?
- Applying and Interviewing for Industry Science Jobs - PowerPoint presentation from a Career Services program.
- Advice from your peers: suggested advice from respondents to the 8-13 year out Penn PhD survey who currently work within the pharmaceutical and biotech industry. See all of the current results from this survey here.
- GrantsNet - Index of national and international science research funding, scholarships, fellowships, and internships
- Science Careers Job Seeker - Job database sponsored by Science magazine and the AAAS
- Naturejobs � Job database from the journal Nature
- Job Banks for Scientists and Engineers - General web resources for job banks and staffing agencies, and more specific resources for life sciences and physical sciences/engineering
Large Companies with Defined Postdoc Programs
- Genentech Research Organization
- Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR)
- Eli Lilly and Company
Government-Sponsored Fellowships and Postdocs
- AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships
- National Institutes of Health - Office of Intramural Training and Education
- Presidential Management Fellowship
- Association for Women in Science
- National Academy of Sciences
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals
- National Postdoctoral Association
- Women in Technology International
Most professional associations have career sections on their websites. Here are two examples:
- American Chemical Society advice and resources on academic and nonacademic careers
- American Mathematics Society advice and resources on academic and nonacademic careers
- Guidelines for Using Recruiters and Search Firm - A Career Services prepared guide for graduate students and post-docs.
- Science Alliance - New York Academy of Science's career development resources
- Industry Research Guides from Lippincott Library
*Please note, while these are a sampling of our favorite resources for both career exploration and job hunting, inclusion does not represent an endorsement by Career Services.