Cultural & Visa Resources


GoinGlobal (You will need a PennKey to log in) has a "Cultural Advice" section for each of the 40 countries profiled. From China to India to the UK, find information about job search resources, hiring trends, industry overviews, professional and social networking groups, work permit and visa regulations, financial considerations, resume/cv guidelines, interview tips and cultural advice. These tips are a great way to start researching the culture of the country where you might like to live.

International Cultural Resources from Michigan State's globalEDGE

On Penn Abroad's Website, check the "Health" and "Safety and Security" sections. Penn Abroad also provides information on International SOS, a 24-hour worldwide assistance and emergency services designed to supplement and integrate with the University of Pennsylvania's services, procedures and policies. Participants enroll online as a University of Pennsylvania member and can access pre-trip planning information and other information.


Among the challenges of interning abroad are arranging passports, visas and other paperwork as is necessary for work authorization. The processes for arranging the necessary paperwork can be time consuming.

One of the first things you will want to do is make sure you have an updated passport. If your passport has expired, or if you don't have one, you can find out how to apply for one at the State Department's website. The best way to avoid problems is to make sure you start early, as it can take 6-8 weeks (or longer!) for a new passport. (CIBT is Penn's Preferred Contract Supplier for passports and visa services and offers discounts and customized group options.)

Many countries will allow entrance to American citizen visitors for a maximum of three months. However, if you wish to earn money during this time, or plan on staying longer than three months, a visa may be necessary. Again, getting the correct information about the paperwork you need to work abroad legally will require some research. Several organizations, such as Bunac, can help you arrange a working permit for selected countries. If you have secured a position in a country not represented by one of these organizations, you should contact the company that has made you an offer, as well as that nation's embassy. The following links will be useful for finding the information you'll need:

If you are an international student, you will have to contact your nation's consulate to learn about any authorized paperwork you will need to travel in and out of the United States. The Office of International Programs can provide you with a complete list of embassies and consulates in New York and Washington, D.C.

When you contact the necessary embassy or consulate, be sure to ask about any travel warnings, or health requirements, such as immunization. Student Health Services at Penn can be another source of information on this.

In addition, Penn students are encouraged to register their international travel in the Global Activities Registry (GAR).  Registration in GAR is mandatory for students traveling on Penn sponsored/affiliated trips abroad.  Please visit Penn's International Travel Guidance webpage for more information, travel safety tips and resources, and the list of Heightened Risk Regions.

International Resume, Cover Letter and CV Resources

GoinGlobal (you will need a PennKey to log in) has Résumé/CV Guidelines specific to each of the 40 countries profiled, complete with samples and details about preferences for margins and alignment. Instructions on the necessity, composition and tone of cover letters for each country are also included.

Tips from the University of Kent on writing a successful CV. This great resource includes samples: