Nursing Students: Welcome to the U.S. Summer Externship and Opportunity Resource Guide. The guide is organized alphabetically by state. In some cases, finalized information was not available for the upcoming year, so continue to visit the websites to confirm application deadlines.
As you will notice, some applications' deadlines are fast approaching, others do not mention deadlines at all, and some accept applications on a rolling, as-needed basis. Whichever the case, we recommend applying early!
PLEASE REVIEW EACH FACILITY'S WEBSITE THOROUGHLY BEFORE YOU CONTACT A NURSE RECRUITER WITH SPECIFIC QUESTIONS. If you do not meet the requirements listed here or on the suggested website, contact the nurse recruiter personally, as s/he may be flexible. In the event that the contact provided is no longer at the facility, ask to speak to the person in charge of the externship program. Nearly all of the positions listed below are paid and do not require a CNA.
- Children's Hospital, Denver
Go to job search page and search with keywords "Clinical Assistant."
- Hartford Hospital: Patient Care Associate
Applications are accepted throughout the year on a rolling basis until positions are filled, so you can apply immediately.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- University of Chicago Hospitals
Search job opportunities using keyword "externships"
- Capital Camps
Open to all years, no CNA or clinical experience required. Begin accepting applications in January.
- University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore
Scroll to "Student Nurse Residency Program" for complete information
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
There is no formal program but check in the spring for Summer Nursing Associate positions (per-diem) or Patient Care Technician (CNA required) positions.
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
There is no formal summer internship program at this time. However, check in the spring for Patient Care Assistant / per diem openings for the summer.
- Mayo Clinic
Application Deadline: January 15
- BJC Healthcare/ Nurse Externship Program
For more information, see: http://www.umsl.edu/divisions/nursing/ or call Lisa Sinacore MSN, RN, firstname.lastname@example.org, (314) 454-2131 or 888-NURSE-UM.
- Southeast Missouri Hospital
For more information, contact Ginger Anderson, BSN, RN at (573) 331-6564 or email@example.com.
- Barnabas Health
Go the web page for contact information for the nurse recruiter at the health care affiliate of your choice.
- University Medical Center at Princeton
Type "Nursing" in Search Title to find nursing assistant positions.
- Lenox Hill Hospital The Rita and Alex Hillman Foundation - Partners in Practice Nursing Student Externship Program
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Clinical Assistants Program
Click on "Clinical Assistants Program"
- New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
Centralized recruiting for 5 hospitals, including Columbia and Cornell. Check Web site for more information, particularly the "Career Events" link. Apply through the Web site.
- Stony Brook University/University Hospital Stony Brook: Nursing Internship Program
This program is run through the School of Nursing, and requires that you register as a non-matriculated student for one summer course. You are then assigned to a hospital position, and paid a salary (which more than covers the cost of the course). You work 40 hours/week for 10 weeks. Open to rising Seniors, No CNA needed. Contact Kenneth Faulkner at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions not answered by the website.
- Fox Chase Cancer Center Nurse Extern Program
For questions, contact Mickey Mullin, (215) 728-3411.
- Holy Redeemer: CNA
Search using job category "Nursing Service."
- Hospital of University of Pennsylvania: Student Nurse Extern
Search using keyword "extern." Applications normally go live at the beginning of January and close at the end of the month.
- Independence Blue Cross: Nurse Internship Program
Opportunities in clinical settings as well as at IBX (possible projects include health administration, health policy analysis, etc).
- Lancaster General Hospital
For further information, contact Sharon Graver (717) 544-4104 or by email email@example.com.
- Saint Christopher's Hospital for Children: Assistant Nurse
To view nursing employment opportunities at St. Christopher's, contact Nurse Recruiter Susan McFalls at (215) 427-6842 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Universal Health Services / Central Montgomery Medical Center Nurse's Aide, Nutrition Aide, and Critical Care Tech
Web site currently being updated; check regularly.
For information, call 800-293-3803. [NOTE: Universal Health Services is the umbrella for a very wide range of excellent hospitals throughout the US. Central Montgomery Medical Center is the facility closest to Philadelphia, but check their Web site for all their hospitals].
- Houston Methodist Advancement into Professional Practice (MAPP)
Application Deadline: January 31
- Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters
Application Deadline: February 15
- Virginia Commonwealth University Hospital, Richmond
Click on "View Current Job Opportunities and Online Application" and Search under Nursing. Care partner positions available.
- Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle: Nurse Technician
This is not a formal "externship" but they do hire nursing students to work during the summer. For additional information, call (206) 987-4560
- University of Washington Medical Center
Recruit in spring for Nurse Technicians, but strongly prefer those who can continue to work during the school year. For more information, e-mail Sandra Elliott at email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL SUMMER OPPORTUNITIES
- Veteran Affairs Learning Opportunity Residency Program (VALOR)
Contact your local VA medical center for more information on the VALOR program in that hospital
- CDC/ATSDR Sponsored/Coordinated Student/Training Programs
These are paid summer research opportunities
- National Science Foundation lists research experiences for Undergraduates interested in a variety of subjects including biology and physiology.
- Great Camp Jobs has jobs for nursing students at their camps located in New York, Michigan, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
*There are other camp listings in this externship/summer opportunity document under specific states.
- Health Career Connection
Internship program with focus on healthcare management, health policy, community health, health education and other public health careers.
- Health Management and Policy Summer Enrichment Program for Undergraduate Students, University of Michigan, School of Public Health
Offers summer internships to students interested in eliminating racial, ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in health.