June 20 through June 22, 2018 Staff Training and Move-In
June 25 through July 27, 2018 Residential Summer Program
University of Pennsylvania ~ Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Upward Bound is a federally funded college preparatory program that prepares high school students to enter and succeed in post-secondary education. The 6-week summer program includes academic, cultural, and recreational activities, and concludes with a 5-day college tour.
The primary objective of this position is to ensure the well-being of 35 students in grades 10 through 12, concerning health, safety, morale, discipline, interpersonal relationships within the group, and application to studies. Three Residential Tutor-Counselors are expected to live in the college house and provide supervision of students during the week. The week begins at 6:00 p.m. Sunday evening and typically ends by 5:00 p.m. Friday afternoon. Residential Tutor-Counselors assist with, plan and provide elective and recreational activities, field trips, study hall, and residence life programming.
Applicants must be at least a rising college junior with a strong academic record. Preference given to candidates who have:
- Prior residential advisor or camp counselor experience
- Experience working with Philadelphia high school students
- Experience working with TRIO programs or are current/former participants
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organization and programming skills
- Demonstrated the ability to work cooperatively and independently
- Free on-campus housing from June 20 through July 20, plus hotel accommodations during a week-long out of state tour
- Free meals, Monday breakfast through Friday lunch, from June 21 through July 20
- Opportunity to attend cultural and recreational activities at no cost
- Stipend of approximately $2400 for 5.5 weeks
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Kat York (email@example.com) at Upward Bound by March 31, 2018. Candidates will be contacted for an interview following review of their applications. For more information, please contact Upward Bound staff at 215-898-3185.