Office of Student Disabilities Services
The University of Pennsylvania welcomes students with disabilities and is committed to providing the same exceptional opportunities to all Penn students. Policies and procedures have been developed to provide students with as much independence as possible and to promote self-advocacy. At Student Disabilities Services (SDS) we work closely with students who self-identify in order to ensure equal access to all University programs, activities and services. We encourage you to learn more about our services on our website. You will find information about the accommodations we provide as well as procedures for requesting accommodations and services. We also invite you to meet with our staff to address your specific needs as part of our collaborative process.
To begin the documentation/accommodation process, please follow the following steps:
- Complete the Self-Identification Form.
- Provide medical documentation accordance with the Documentation Guidelines.
- Once the documentation is received and reviewed, the student will be contacted to set up an appointment to discuss the next steps in the accommodation process.
- Students are strongly advised to register with SDS upon matriculation into the University; it can take up to 4 weeks to review documentation and approve accommodations.
- Students must meet with an SDS staff member at the beginning of each semester to in order to receive accommodations.
Appointments and Drop-In Sessions
- Drop-in hours are held every Monday from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. and Tuesday - Friday from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. We encourage returning students to visit drop-in hours early in the semester to access their accommodations for the new semester.
- To schedule an appointment with an SDS staff member, please call the Weingarten Center at 215-573-9235.
Disability-Related Housing Accommodations
To apply for disability-related housing accommodation for the 2020-2021 academic year, students must:
- Submit the disability-related housing accommodation request form by Monday, January 13, 2020.
- Apply for housing through Residential Services starting Thursday, January 23, 2020.
Accommodated Exam Information for Registered Students
- Students will not be able to make online requests for accommodated quizzes, tests, or exams in MyWLRC until they meet with an SDS staff member.
- Students must request exam accommodations at least 7 days prior to the exam date.
- Request for final exam accommodations deadline: Monday, April 13th.