Students who wish to make a first-time request for disability services at the University of Pennsylvania must complete the following steps:
- Complete a Self-Identification Form through the MyWLRC Student Portal
- Submit documentation of disability
- Schedule an initial appointment with an SDS staff member
Students are strongly advised to register with SDS upon matriculation into the University; it can take up to 4 weeks to review documentation and approve accommodations.
All disability documentation is reviewed by the SDS Documentation Review Committee to determine if the documentation meets both the SDS published disability documentation guidelines and the statutory requirements under Section 504 and the ADA. Accompanying documentation (e.g., accommodation memos from SAT, ACT, GRE, etc., IEPs/504 plans, letter from previous educational institution's disability office) are welcomed to complement the medical documentation; however, the supporting materials alone do not substantiate the need for an accommodation.
Please select the documentation guidelines that pertain to your medical condition:
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Documentation Guidelines
- Learning Disability Documentation Guidelines
- Physical/Medical/Sensory Impairment Disability Documentation Form
- Psychological Disability Documentation Form
- Housing Accommodation Request Form
Referrals for Educational Evaluations
SDS maintains an updated list of local providers who can conduct educational evaluations as a reference for students. This list is not exhaustive, and SDS does not endorse the providers listed here. Please contact the providers directly for more information regarding anticipated charges.
Step-by-step Guide to Completing the Registration Process
Complete a Self-Identification Form to Register with SDS
- Navigate to the MyWLRC Student Portal and select Student User.
- Log in with your PennKey. If you do not have a PennKey, or need help setting it up, visit PennKey support
- Select Accommodation, then select Accessibility Request to access the self-identification form.
- On the Self-Identification form, complete the required questions (e.g., your disability diagnosis or diagnoses and what accommodations you are requesting).
- You may upload supporting medication documentation. Please label your documentation under Document Title. (You may also submit the form without your supporting documentation and send documentation later.) Click Submit.
- You will receive an email confirmation immediately after submitting the self-identification form.
- You can return to the MyWLRC Student Portal to view your submitted request. On the left menu, select Accommodation > Accessibility Request to see your submitted self-identification form and your request identification number.
- You will also receive an email request to schedule an appointment with your assigned specialist within three business days.
Upload your Documentation of Disability
- Navigate to the MyWLRC Student Portal, select Student User, and log in with your PennKey.
- On the left menu, select Documents > Pending Documents. Click the Add New button.
- Label your documentation with a name and select either Supporting Medical Documentation, Documentation from Prior Institution, or Other.
- Click on the Browse button to upload your documentation and click Submit.
- You can view your documentation if you return to the Pending Documents tab.
- Your SDS specialist will receive an email alert that you submitted documentation for review.
- You will receive email notification after your documentation has been received by your SDS specialist.
- Then, you can view your documentation under the Approved Documents tab.
Schedule an Initial Appointment
- Navigate to the MyWLRC Student Portal and log in to schedule your Initial Appointment.
- Select Appointment from the left menu, then Request New Appointment.
- Under Type, choose Student Disabilities Services > SDS Initial Appointment.
- You can edit the date and time range to fit your schedule.
- For Location, choose Weingarten Learning Resources Center.
- You can search for the name of your specialist. Check your Accommodation Request-Meeting Required email for the name of your specialist. If you are unsure, the system will generate the name of your specialist when you select Check Availability.
- You can select the days of the week you are available.
- Click Check Availability.
- Next, select an appointment time from the right-hand side of the page.
- A new Confirm Appointment window opens. Follow the on-screen prompts as you wish to finalize the appointment and click Submit Request.
- You and your specialist will receive email confirmation of your appointment.
- You can view your approved appointment in MyWLRC by going to Appointments à Approved Appointments.
- To add the appointment to your calendar, click on the three vertical dots under the appointment time and select Add to Calendar.